Here’s a set of Dutch Militie painted up with Army Painter Speed Paints. There is a paint/product list at the bottom of this short article and some tips included between the photos.
This unit is the basic militia unit for the various Dutch land factions in Blood & Plunder.
This is a simple, but classic paint scheme, utilizing a tan/yellow for the main coat, a light brown for the paints and apostles, dark red for stockings, cuffs, sashes and capes, black hats and shoes, white shirts and ruffles, dark brown leathers and muskets, and orange feather.
After using the Speed Paints, I did some highlights, especially on the whites and skin. For the metals, I used Vallejo Metal Color Steel and Duraluminum.
This paint scheme is copied from the examples in No Peace Beyond the Line and the colors evoke “Dutchness.”
These Dutch Militie are fairly simple models and this paint job goes on very quickly with Speed Paints. Using GW Contrast Paints would produce a similar product although their color selection is not as good for these models in my opinion.
Dutch Militie – List of Paints & Products used
- Army Painter Speed Paints
- Zealot Yellow – Coats
- Pallid Bone – 12 Apostles & Trousers
- Slaughter Red – Stockings, Cuffs, Capes, Sashes
- Dark Wood – Musket, Leathers
- Grim Black – Hat, Shoes
- Holy White – Shirts, Cravat
- Sand Golem – Hair
- Fire Giant Orange – Feather
- Crusader Skin – Skin
- Vallejo Metal Color Airbrush Colors
- Steel – Sword, Musket Metal, Helmet & Buckles
- Duraluminio – Metal Highlights
- Citadel Paints
- XV-88 – Base Decking
- Rhinox Hide – Base Rim
- Nuln Oil – Metal Wash
- Agrax Earthshade – Base Decking Wash
- Miniatures Painted
Paint job and article by Joseph Forster