Welcome to the 2022 Summer of Plunder!
Blood & Pigment, in partnership with Firelock Games, Tales of the Sail, The Plunder Den, and Timber & Sail, is facilitating another Blood & Plunder (and Oak & Iron) global community campaign over the Summer of 2022! Following a loose structure, the global campaign is a fun way for Blood & Plunder players around the world to interact, share pictures and stories from their games, win prizes, and compete for glory for their chosen nation!
When does the Campaign Happen?
The campaign will run from May 30th-September 5th. Every Sunday, there will be a campaign update blog post here on Blood & Pigment. The update will give the current national (and sometimes personal) standings, along with a reminder for the upcoming week’s new objective and some possible exhortations or challenges from your nation’s commanders.
Where does the Campaign Happen?
Wherever you play a game! At your game store, in your home, and around the world!
How Do I Participate?
During this time, every time you play a game of Blood & Plunder (or O&I), you can submit a couple details about that game using our campaign entry form (here on Blood & Pigment) and that game will be counted as part of the campaign.
Solo games qualify for entry, but only for on force, not both.
Submissions will not be counted until the campaign begins on May 30, but you can check out the submission form here. This is our first time using this submission method, so any pre-campaign feedback is appreciated! You’re welcome to test it out.
Each game must be submitted separately and players must each make their own submission (for campaign tracking purposes). For example, if two players get together and play two games, that would generate 4 possible entries, 2 for each player.
How is the Campaign Scored/How Do I Win?
To help build camaraderie, the the campaign will be primarily Nations competing for glory. Every time you submit a game, we apply campaign points to your nation. One nation will be master of the New World at the end of the campaign, and all supporting players will glory in their combined effort. The Grand Prize will go to a random participant who played for that nation. There will be a prize for the single player with the most points, prizes for each player with the most points within their Nation, and a variety of fun additional prizes you can find in the list below.
How Do Campaign Points Work?
Each time you enter a game in the campaign, you will earn points for yourself as an individual and points for the nation you play as (you can flip flop and play for any number of nations or stay loyal to one or a few). Points will be awarded as follows:
- One point for playing a game (win or lose)
- One point for accomplishing the weekly objective (see below)
- One point for teaching a new player how to play the game.
Can I Play Under More than One Flag?
Yes, you can you filthy mercenary. You may fight for any and all nations but your loyalties will effect your chances at glory (and the various prizes offered)!
Below are your doughty commanders! Choose your allegiance (or lack thereof).
Our glorious commanders include:
- Spanish – Guy Rheuark, Master of Video creation at Blood & Pigment
- English – Dexter Heide, Master of YouTube and terrain-builder extraordinaire
- French – Tyler Stone, Firelock’s Ever-Present-Answer-Provider and co-host of the Tales of the Sail podcast
- Dutch – Glenn Van Meter, Gentleman Pirate Farmer, Resilient Father and co-host of the Tales of the Sail podcast
- Native American – Niguel Vega, C-C-C-Combo Seeker and Power Gamer
- Pirate – Dan Carlson, Blackbeard’s spiritual heir and Blood & Pigment Team Member
- Minor Powers – No Commander! See below for a new development for the Minor Powers!
Joseph Forster will manage the campaign and post weekly updates.
5/19/22 Minor Powers Update
The Peripheral Powers (Brandenburg Privateers, Danish Militia, Portuguese Bandeirantes, Portuguese-Brazilian Tercios & Militia, Scottish Militia, and Swedish Militia) didn’t do too well in our campaign last year (understandably), and they don’t really thematically “go together,” so we’ve cooked up a new way for these fun factions to participate in the campaign that should add some spice to the whole event! We considered splitting out the various factions to fight alongside the other larger nations, but that got historically complex and messy. So we settled on “shifting alliances”!
Instead of logging a game under “Minor Powers,” when you play a game with one of these factions, you get to choose which major power you are aligning with. The minor powers can jump in and help a struggling nation, or ride on the coat tails of a successful nation! You can choose a different temporary alliance every time you play a game. This way you can change the course of the campaign in a more meaningful way, and you can also get in on any special events the various nations are running! More chances for prizes and loot.
One slight exception in the Minor Powers lineup is the Black Caribs. We are categorizing them with the Native Americans for the Purpose of this event.
At the end of the campaign (and maybe some throughout the summer), more than $1000 in prizes will be awarded! Prizes will include:
- Grand Prize – Random Player of Winning Faction
- Your choice of a Galleon or 6th Rate Frigate with a set of Seamon’s Quality Sails
- Most Notorious Pirate – Single Player with the Most Campaign Points
- A $100 Firelock Games Coupon Code
- Tiny Captain – Most Oak & Iron Games Logged
- A Ships of the Line box of Oak & Iron Ships and a set of deluxe movement templates
- Pirate Journalist – Most Game Photos Submitted
- Your choice of a Benerson Little book, possibly/hopefully signed by the author
- Resilient Commander – Random Player from the Losing Nation
- Hardened Mercenary – Player who has played under the most flags (factions as tie-breaker)
- Set of 3 Genuine 17th Century Fortune Coins
- National Hero – Players who have Logged the Most Games in Each Nation
- National Commander Mini hand painted by your nation’s Commander
- Press Ganger – Most New Players Taught
- 2022 Noob of the Year – Random Player Who Started Playing Blood & Plunder in 2022
- A Two Player Starter Set from the Raise the Black Kickstarter (delivered as soon as it’s available).
- 2022 Noobs – Players who have started playing B&P or O&I in 2022
- At the end of June, July, and August, a new player will be awarded a Starter Box/Sloop/Activation card bundle.
- Hoist Your Colors – Best Painted Minis in Photos
- Set of Size 0 & 00 Winsor & Newton Series 7 Brushes
- Pyratical Portraiture – Best Painted Commander Mini in Photos
- 28mm WIP portrait of your nation’s commander
- Land Worth Fighting For – Best Looking Table
- Stone Walls handmade by Dexter Heide
- Merchant Escort – Most games at FLGS
- Docks handmade made by Dexter Heide
- More may be announced!
Prizes will be announced the week after the end of the campaign. Players will be contacted via email and prizes will be shipped within 2 weeks.
Weekly Photo Prize
In addition to the prizes at the end of the campaign, a weekly award of the Organized Play set of Minis and Cards will be sent to the player who has submitted the best picture of the week!
The Weekly Objectives
You can earn additional campaign points by completing the objective during each week of the campaign. Nation Commanders may have additional objectives for their own players that come and go during the campaign but we are releasing the full schedule of campaign objectives ahead of time so players can plan accordingly.
- Week 1 – May 30-June 5
- Scouting Party – Play a small game of 50 points or less
- Week 2 – June 6-12
- Blood & Plunder: “Bark Wars!” – Include a Bark in your force (or Piragua if your nation – Natives – can’t take a Bark)
- Oak & Iron: “Sloop Wars!” – Include a Sloop in your force
- Week 3 – June 13-19
- Blood & Plunder: “The Fire of War” – Have a Fire happen in your game. Burning ship, house, fort, torches, firepots, anything burning on your table!
- Oak & Iron: “The Fire of War” – Set an enemy ship on fire.
- Week 4- June 20-26
- Damn the Shoals – Sail over a Shoal (successfully or not)
- Week 5 – June 27-July 3
- Blood & Plunder: “Employ the Locals” – Include a Hostage/Advisor in your Force
- Oak & Iron: “Employ the Locals” – At least two of your ships must take the “Additional Crew” ship upgrade
- Week 6 – July 4-10
- Blood & Plunder: “The 4th Portion of Fortune” – Start a game with 4+ Fortune Points.
- Oak & Iron: “Gentlemen of Fortune” – Your squadron must include all 3 ships from the “Gentlemen of Fortune” boxed (also featured in in Core Boxed Set) – A Sloop, Petit Frigate, and Corvette.
- Week 7 – July 11-17
- Blood & Plunder: “Frontier War” – Play a scenario from Fire on the Frontier
- Oak & Iron: “A New Frontier” – Use a Landing Party during the game.
- Week 8 – July 18-24
- Tiny Wars – Oak and Iron games count as double!
- Week 9 – July 25-31
- Support the Merchants – Play a game at your Local Game Store
- Week 10 August 1-7
- Blood & Plunder: Upgrade the Flagship – Include a size 3 or larger ship in your Force (or take over a size 3 ship if your nation can’t take large ships)
- Oak & Iron: Include at least 1 Ship of the Line in your Force (or Queen Anne’s Revenge if Pirates)
- Week 11 August 8-14
- Blood & Plunder: Summer of PLUNDER! – Play the Plunder Scenario (from No Peace Beyond the Line.
- Oak & Iron: Play the Plunder Scenario TBA
- Week 12 – August 15-21
- Blood & Plunder: Fortified – Play a game with Fortifications on the table
- Oak & Iron: Flotilla – Play a 200 pt game
- Week 13 – August 22-28
- Blood & Plunder: The Undying Pirate – Use the Cheat Death Ability
- Oak & Iron: The Undying Vessel – Use at least 1 Repair and 1 Rally action during the game on a single ship.
- Week 14 – August 29-September 5
- Blood & Plunder: Men of Legend – Include a Legendary Commander in your Force
- Oak & Iron: Men of Legend – Include a Level 3 Admiral in your Force (or Level 2 if your Faction doesn’t have one).
Look for more info to be forthcoming from Firelock Games, Tales of the Sail, The Plunder Den, Timber & Sale, and Blood & Pigment. But for now, gather your forces, contact your local players and make plans for an epic Summer of Plunder!